Thursday, March 18, 2004

Why Oh Why

I was listening to the radio on the way home tonight. These days I like being talked to (or at) whilst driving, so I listen to 5Live. It's an on air Guardian, as opposed to Radio 4, which is more The Daily Telegraph. I guess that makes Radio 1 The Sun then, and Radio 2 ......hmmmm it's not Nazi enough to be The Daily Mail, so perhaps it's The Independent then. Anyway, I digress, the point is they were running an article because now the Government thinks I'm a financial fuckwit as well. Not saitisfied with creaming me for tax from every conceivable angle, they now think I'm being done by Store Cards. Let's get something straight here, if I had more money in my pocket, and wasn't getting stung in the pub, in the petrol station, in the clothes shop, in National Insurance, income tax, COUNCIL FUCKING TAX then I might be inclined to be a saver. In the absence of that I am happy to take Credit from wherever so that I can have my cake now, and worry about it later as it were. It's my choice, not Brown's or Blair's. I have a choice you know, and if I choose to use Store Credit then on my head be it. Mr B(rown or lair) - I can read, and I know the consequences of my actions. Stop patronising me and others like me. It's enough to make me want to eat a Quarter pounder, with a can of Coke, in a Motorway Service Station having just filled up on 4 Star, on my way to drink 10 pints of Guinness, all paid for by my mate Mr. Visa. Yep, as a memebr of the GOGB I meet the entry condition numbers 28 & 29 as well

28.) You will happily cut your nose off to spite your face.
29.) You believe sulking is an attractive trait, and an effective method of getting your own way.

I bought Baby a new mobile phone , a couple of weeks ago. It's on "pay as you talk" and replaced one I got last year that Baby lost, and yes I do get them cheap working for an Operator! It was handed over on the stipulation that it did not leave the house until me and DC (Dragon Control) were happy Baby could be trusted not to lose it. I asked Baby this morning where it was, and got the usual answer "I know where it is", but Baby patently didn't know and then said the phone had been given to DC for safe keeping. I called DC and she said she hadn't seen it. Tonight when Baby came in I went a bit mad, threatening the cancellation of Birthdays and associated parties, and promising no more phones would ever be bought by me. Baby shed some tears (quite a few in fact), and the guilt hit me hard, but I am a bloke from London (originally) - Baby took 30 minutes to find it, and even Teenager helped out. It breaks my heart to act the hard Dad, and even though it works, I feel no better than if I had dished out a smacked arse. On that subject, I haven't done that for many years - I soon found out that my raised voice usually got the message across. It is a "man" thing - our voices just sound more fearsome to kids than a womans. I have a theory, slightly sexist, but hey, as a fully paid up member of GOB and GOGB thats my perogative. Women's voices get higher the more annoyed they get, until they reach a stage where they are hypersonic - the mouth moves, but no human can hear it. Therefore kids, especially older ones and husbands, ignore it.....the dog tends to cower away though as at this point they are the only species capable of hearing our irate fairer sex.

I don't hate all pop music of today. Whilst I might like to give the aura of being Mr Connosseur of Quality Tunes, I am in fact someone whose range of taste runs from Abba to ZZ Top! Some good pop then from today (ish)

All the things she said - TATU (no...not for the reason you think...they were fake lesbians anyway! - pure fun pop)
Freak Like Me - Suga Babes - fantastic sample of Gary Numan's Tubeway Army classic "Are Friends Electric" - inspired!
Round Round - Suga Babes - just a good foot tapper
Hey ya - OutKast - truly excellent retro disco
My Immortal - Evanescence - hauntingly beautiful
Bring Me to Life - Evanescence - the spirit of punk/rock - this band will go far (I hope)
God is a DJ - P!nk - yep she's fit!

Oh yeah, I ordered a new Driver yesterday and guess what! Yep, they tried to deliver today when no-one was in. Here's a simple question thoug - I have to give my phone number when I order on the net - why can't they pass that to the Courier and get them to ring first to see if we're in? That way they could avoid leaving poxy little cards which just serve to wind me up even more, because that was a present I could have opened when I got in, and that would have made me smile, because we all like getting parcels don't we? So to dangle in front of me, by leaving a "we tried to deliver" card, the fact that I nearlyhad a new toy to try out is in fact taking the piss. It would be like a mate in the pub telling you he'd have bought you a pint had you been here 30 seconds ago! Hmmm come to think of it....I do know some people like that as well :-)

This blogging lark is getting addictive! Anyway , that's it for now - I am trying to learn the guitar and promised Rob, my friend and teacher (take a bow Rob) that I would practice my "alternate picking" drill to harden my finger tips up. It's a shame they're not like conkers really, then I could just soak 'em in vinegar overnight to harden them up!

No comments: