Wednesday, March 24, 2004

DC is downstairs having a glass of wine, despite allegedly feeling quite unwell. This is a woman thing, if a man is unwell then alcohol is usually the last thing you want. Anyway, I didn't watch the game and because of that we didn't lose. We drew 1-1 which makes the return leg at Lowbury very interesting because frankly we have to eithe draw 2-2, or win by any margin.0-0 will not be enough....I might be tempted, but it will be after several pints of the black stuff, or a bottle of Rioja (the very best red wine, love it, love it , love it!). Teenager watched it at her "club" , apparently they don't like the phrase "youth club", but she has earned my admiration for being that brave. She is under pressure from her alleged yoBfriend (work it out...) to change alleiance to Southampton. I have told her she will be removed from my will if she does that, but again she surprised me by saying how.... ..proud she was to support Chelsea. I feel a bit guilty because this season is the first that I haven't taken them to at least one game, so I will make sure that next season they get to a game. DC is merely an honrary fan, as she was bought up a QPR supporter. That's fine, we Chelsea fans like to patronisingly look at QPR as our poorer cousins, and you'll often find a few Chelsea fans at Loftus Road watching QPR when Chelsea are away, helping them financially even ina small way, although if QPR were in the Premiership this would count as a sacreligous act.

What I did instead was study some more for my course. It is intriguing, the arguments are from someone called Peter Singer, a philospher and animal rights crusader. He argues first for equality between humans, irrespective of race, creed, skin colour, intelligence, ability/disability etc. He then argues that this should be extended to animals. His analogy is that slave owners used to treat slaves as no better than animals until the error of this was changed culturally, and that as such this should be extended to animals as well. It's a bit deeper than that , all to do with degrees of suffering and the lack of difference between species suffring, but it made me think, although not enough to prevent me having non-veggie cheese on toast.

I have had a sore throat for 6 weeks now,penicillin didn't work much. It isn't glandular fever, so tomorrow it's back to the docs for another look. Worried, yes very much so, but I have also had a cold and sinus problems for longer than that. Hopefully it's just viral and will disappear over time. At the moment Ibuprofen seems to calm it a bit. It's not persistent, but there are raised glands apparently, and it really only hurts if I yawn, or sing, or shout. At 42 though, everything makes you worry a bit more...doesn't it?

Later, Jack the Grocer

No comments: