Monday, March 08, 2004

Ok - the email is grocerjak@lycos.co.uk - thats all anyone needs for now. Over time, as I gain familiarity with this lark I will start to jazz it up a bit, and allow areas for comment. I am aware of the need for debate, as I'm currently doing a Philosophy course with the Open University as part of a degree that has fuck all to do with my job! And if you don't like a bit of working class langauge...well you know where you can go! So, I love philosophical argument on serious subjects, and stupid arguments over trivial subjects. If you can define the difference to someone who cares about any subject then you're a better person than me.

So, I work for a big company, and until recently enjoyed (sic!) the title of UK SomethingorOther Manager, so I'm not a total technology fuckwit. In fact I know all about how networks, computers and especially how the Internet works. Believe me, it is very arse numbingly dull indeed. But then I reckon most jobs are, even the glamorous ones like Airline pilots are being de-skilled to bus driver level (no offence to bus drivers). Over the years I enjoyed being an engineer, but like most greedy sad wankers I jumped at the chance of being a manager, the lure of the filthy lucre finally making my mind up. No pressure from Dragon Control, honestly. 2 weeks ago, we had another one of those interminable re-orgs, in which they sound off about the joys and needs of change, how the business only survives by being leaner/fitter/anorexic, how it is a chance of developing people into new roles, the need to be flexible etc etc....normal management gobbledygook bollocks talk in other words (aka bullshit). I survived this time, albeit in a new role (of which I know nothing - might as well have asked me to fly a fucking 747), but some of my closest colleagues didn't, and for them I am sad. But the people left now just feel like they are on some sort of career "death row". Waiting for the Sword of Damocles to catch them next time. Sometimes I wonder if those who went aren't better off, inasmuch as at least the decision and uncertainty is over. This is beginning to sound like a ramble, and I'm honestly not that miserable, but then most songwriters write better sad/angry sings than happy ones....don't they? Anyway, stick with my ramblings, they will be a bit eccentric and disjointed at first, but as i get the hang of this, they should improve. Time now 21:45, despite whatever bullshit time the blog says I posted it.