Friday, March 19, 2004

Sea Change

Well, tonight I'm going to show this to DC. All the comments from people have been positive, so with any luck she'll also think the same. Who knows - she is a woman after all and ...well irrationality comes with the package doesn't it? Yes...I know women think the same of men, perhaps I'll develop my theories on these fascinating diferences another time. Why "sea change" then? Well in 3 weeks my job has changed completely, and I'm at lunch now and it occurred to me that I can do this at lunch, whereas 3 weeks ago I was lucky to get a lunch. If I did, invariably it was a sandwich in front of the screen, desperately trying to read or reply to emails, delete emails where I had been copied in on peoples inane conversations and answer calls from idiot Project Managers, generally complaining that my team could not do their work. They couldn't see the fact that a days notice was not enough for us to schedule staff, and the concept of "lead times" was not part of their language. Project Managers - absolutely fucking laughable description - Project Dickheads more like. But now....well I have lunch, I come in on time, leave on time and I have to say it, life is much more civilised and less stressful. The thing is...that's how most of the people in the company work, it was only us Operational Muppets that worked excessively long hours, under constant debilitating pressure. Of course I still care for my old team, they were mostly friends before they were colleagues, but my life is very different now, and in a way it's a bit like leaving home for the first time. I am now being judged at 42 by people who don't know me or my history, and that makes things interesting. I find myself matching what I think they think against my own perception of myself. Confused...yep me too, but hopefully I'll make sense of it over time and share it.

Anyway, must dash...more later..tonight is pub night, my weekly binge drink - I may post later...Guinness has a way of feeding the creative bits of my mind!!

No comments: