Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Bollocks

Golf can be a cruel game, which I suppose is its appeal. I played yesterday in a Corporate event at Super Posh Golf Club in Super Posh Village. It was a good event, bar one major irritant - I play like a complete wanker. It was hosted by some of our suppliers, and the main guest for the day was a European Tour Pro, who now spends most of his time doing media work, including Sky. He is a nice guy, and has a fabulous way of remembering everyones names - I know it's just a technique , but when someone like that calls you by your name it does make a difference to the way you feel. Anyway, he played 3 holes with each group, and up until he joined the group I was in I had been playing steadily and was on target to come back with around 30-32 points. He joined in , and at that very moment I decided subconciously to play like I'd never picked up a club before! The minute he left, my normal game came back in and I scored 2 points on each of the last 3 holes! What the fuck is that about? Because of this I got the "hacker" prize at dinner afterwards, which is better than nothing I suppose, and I finished (not last by any means) with a respectable total of 26 points , which considering I failed to score on 4 holes isn't too bad . Why then do I feel like selling my clubs and getting into gardening or sopmething non-competitive then? I won't of course, but I have pretty well made up my mind not to go on any more of these events. You do get to play nice courses and eat nice food, but it just gets terminally soul destroying when you see how inadequate you are compared to others. I just can't do the competitive thing with strangers - I have no problem with friends.

So its back to normal slog for the rest of the week, with my weekend in Cornwall (yes, playing golf....yawn) in 2 weeks. Also this week sees the start of a new book on my degree course. This is the philosophical arguments surrounding human treatment of animals, and is written by a strong exponent of vegetarianism, with supporting views from people she admits are extremists for animal rights. This is likely to wind me up. I have no problem with vegetarians, as I don't with black people, muslims, catholics, tall people etc etc as long as they don't try and force their views upon me, especially by adopting some philosophical moral high ground. I'll let you know if she manages to change my views, but I wouldn't hold out much hope, like a lot of meat eaters the thought of no bacon rolls is too much to bear.

Hmmm, so the Israelis killed the spiritual leader of Hamas. A lot of people seem upset by this, as if justice had been bypassed. Well, have they forgotten Madrid already then? Terrorism is unacceptable, no matter what or how noble the the cause is. Hamas would stand a better chance of getting what they (and the Palestinians want) by entering into political dialogue. Constantly blowing up people, especially those who aren't active miltiarily just winds the Israelis up and then they retailate with more violence. I know that Sharon is a hard line politician who won't give any ground, but the mood in Israel is changing and he won't be around forever. Talk now, build confidence and share knowledge and culture on BOTH sides and by the time Sharon has gone there might be a base on which to build a mutually aceptable peace. Quite frankly though this "leader" didn't give a shit about ordinarly peoples lives, so why should anyone care what happened to him. I don't - and people like him - known organisers of terrorism now know they can't flaunt their blatant militancy in front of everyone. Again, live by the sword, die by the sword.

And so it ends for today, unless I have something to add tonight. If little Miss Veggie is annoying me I may use that as an excuse to log on and rant, or even just ponder.......

Cheers, The Grocer

No comments: