Thursday, March 18, 2004

More entry T's & C's...plus ramblings.

24.) You glorify in finishing your dinner first, because it means you've won!
25.) You put things in safe places, so safe they can't be found again
26.) You are the best air guitarist in the world!
27.) You know that no matter what women say, size doesn't matter!


There are more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I also have a list of secrets from the wider GOB (Guild of Blokes) organisation (Bev...you've already seen some of these!) - I might be able to share some fo them, but the risk of being expelled is high. Here's just one though - If he says he's only had 2 or 3 pints it means he has had at least twice that and he hasn't included the wine or spirits.

Anyway, thanks to Bev, who made some very kind comments about this blog - I will refrain from using surnames until I am sure that people are happy with this, and that includes me.

A comment on the Budget yesterday - how dull - I haven't looked into it in great detail but it does seem to be giving me - a middle income, driving, drinking man even more of a financial burden. Like I said earler I believe in a fairer society but I do seem to belong in the group of people who subsidise most of that! When I think back to the 70's though that sounds like my Dad speaking. Perhaps that's the destiny for all of us - every day we morph a little more into our parents. Both my parents died in the 70's, Dad was 53, Mum was 43, so there is a big gap between the experience I remember and how I feel now. I dug some photos out (I thought I'd lost all of them) when I moved into the house I live in now - in fact I nearly threw them away inadvertently because they were in an old carrier bag. When I looked at them it was quite emotional because I was looking at my parents for the first time in 22 years - a very humbling and thought provoking moment. What really surpised me though was my youngest (Baby not Teenager) saying how much I looked like my Dad! I never spotted that when he was alive, in fact I could not see any resemblance at all back then. When I looked at these photos though it really did hit home and I have not looked at them sice, I guess I have to reconcile my feelings about what happened when they died - perhaps there hasn't been full closure, after all becoming the "head" of the family and having to deal with 2 younger brothers didn't leave any time for grieving and subsequent closure. Maybe that's the reason I am who I am though, and that if that "closure" hasn't been achieved through the fullness of time then I would not be the person people know (love, like or hate) today. If that closure has occured then perhaps it was just something that organically happened over those 20 odd years. Fuck me - I've gone from the Budget to the Shrink's couch in one paragraph. Sorry if that seemed a little maudling , but this stuff isn't rehearsed or planned.

Took the kids to school this morning - Teenager did not speak to me until in the car, and even then it was to ask me to put Radio 1 on! No way - when in my car you abide by my rules, so I put some proper music on and Teenager was subjected to U2, Blondie (Teenager liked that) and just a smidgen of The Undertones (Teenage Kicks). it's cruel I know, but I do get a kick from tormenting Teenager and it's developing into an interesting battle of wills, of which I know I will win until Teenager leaves home. No doubt when Teenager puts me in a home, or a granny flat then revenge will be sweet! Baby just smiles and says that daddy's music is cool. I can see the inexorable passage of time moving Baby to the inevitable Teenager II but whilst Baby is still at junior school I can make the most of an ally! All it takes is some chocolate and I am the best Daddy ever. How good would that be when dealing with adults if it was all about bribes....what do you mean it already is :-)

More later perhaps...........

No comments: