Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Humble Pie

Hear that noise? Yes , its the sound of the Humble Pie lorry pulling up outside. After my music whinge I arranged to bypass the proxy server at work (naughty, but nice to still have the contacts from my old area) and now I get digital radio to my laptop, This means XFM, Virgin etc etc. So my life is full of excellent new music...Snow Patrol anyone? Fuck me, it's like being a teenager again, with musical awareness being re-awakened within me. So, I'll eat the slice of humble pie and retract my statements about modern music being rubbish. It's just that Teenager seems to have picked the dross stuff to listen to (Evanescence aside!) at home. Or is it just that these new bands are just putting a new slant on my old rock genre? Who cares, it sounds good and is definitely lighting my candle at the moment.

Tonight is the big one ...Chelsea vs Arsenal in the Champions (sic) League. I have had 2 offers to watch this in company, but my mind was made up on the day we pulled them out of the hat. I will be in my spare room, studying Utilitarian Defence of Animals, digital radio in the background, oblivious to the humiliation the Gooners will heap upon my beloved Chelsea. Pessimistic...moi? Abso-fucking-lutely! I won't do the stats again, but if I were a betting man I would put my money and house on Arsenal. This is the best scenario I can come up with. We win 1-0 tonight, so have to defend a slender lead at Highbury in a fortnights time. At Highbury, Arsenal wreak terrible vengeance on my team, equalising within 5 minutes of the start and then scoring 2 late goals in the last 5 minutes, just to ensure our wounds are fatal and we cannot fight back. Then our season is over, and I can retreat into a world of apathy, occasional delight at victories over lesser teams and my arteries can begin to fur up at a lesser rate. The glass is definitely half empty on this one.

After DC had finished shouting, I went in and saw Teenager and Baby. I told them they would still have their parties etc, no matter what DC threatened. Teenager almost gave me a hug, but not quite - Baby still likes her cuddles. It was a nice moment. Of course DC knew I'd do this as it's our good cop/bad cop routine....she hasn't cottoned onto the fact that I'm good cop most of the time.

Maybe more musings later

Jack The Grocer

No comments: