Tuesday, June 22, 2004


This weeks Work of Art - another superb piece from the great man Van Gogh. This is called The Night Cafe. Full of evocative atmosphere, when you stand close you feel like you are actually entering the Cafe. Ask yourself these questions to help the critique - is the guy waiting for you to play billiards with him, or has he just beaten you? Is he looking at you, or past you? Is he friendly or wary? Are the couple at the back married or just "friends", and the 2 people on the right - are they plotting? Drunk? What are they talking about? Are they talking? And what could be in the room at the back..another bar? A brothel? The clock says 10 past 12, but is that afternoon or night - just because it is called The Night Cafe may be a diversionary tactic by Van Gogh. There is just so much happening , or potentially happening, or has happened that this painting can grip for hours. An absolute masterpiece and the first one I had to do a critique on when I did my Art History course with the OU. I hope you like it, but if not then please comment one way or the other. Later, Grocerjack  Posted by Hello

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jack, Just read your words and as usual they do provoke a level of thought on the subject, and you can't really deny that it is a good piccy. However isn't art just a cruel joke... mostly on the artist? I say this as most great art is only "appreciated" after the death of the artist. So he/she spent their life not making ends meet, with popular opinion saying "nah mate that rubbish that is" only to be lauded as the next best thing when they die. Creul, cruel world.

Cheers Strings.

Anonymous said...

Van Gogh is my son's favourite, so although I cannot say I know his work well I am aware of it shall we say. But have I really looked at his work? Not really I guess, looked? yes. Studied? no! At least with you posting these art pieces it gives me another perspective and gives the opportunity to look at pieces I probably have never/would never come across. Its similar to going around a gallery with a catalogue. Did Van Gogh paint "real time", for the need of a better phrase, from memory or imagination? I know it doesn't matter ultimately but I imagine him sitting there in that heady, possibly smokey atmosphere. Would I have seen it all if you hadn't pointed them out? Bet not..I shall keep looking...Den