Tuesday, June 08, 2004

A sea of gormless faces

Oh dear, I hear the sounds of bubbles being burst as the "kids" in my Kindergarten class suddenly realise what a dull old piece of shit Project Management is. I think they saw a glamourous role, one of motivating people, picking teams, driving the project, being the hub of all the activities, making decisions, controlling budgets, analysing risk...which is what it should be, but within The Company it is no more than a glorified admin/secretary role. It is a role of no power, no influence, with no glamour or credit. Project Managers are universally hated because they do not actually manage projects. They annoy and harass people, they use the words "I'll escalate..." near enough every hour, they drop the CEO's name in at every opportunity to try and scare people into prioritising their project...yeah like he gives a shit that X can connect to Y to provide a test platform!. They cannot or will not report bad things to the Project Board.The team I had hated them to a man/woman. I have personally saved too many Project Managers necks whilst risking my own.

So why am I doing the course? Job preservation.....if I get the (almost universally accepted) accreditation then if and when the axe falls its a ready made job in any other organisation...yep its dull, but it'll keep the wolves from the door until I decide what the full future career is for me. I may not fit The Company's view of what a Project manager should be (because I am argumentative, not pushed around, speak my mind, think as an individual and am not a yes man) but I'll bullshit,lie and grovel to get a job in another company in order to keep earning enough money to keep Jack's lifestyle roughly where it is now. And I've worked with enough shit Project Managers to know exactly how to be a fucking good one!

And yes, that probably does make me a hyprocritical, underhand , conniving, cheating and lying bastard....but I'll just put that down to male genetic programming (thanks Charlie Darwin)

Just one more day with the blank tableau minds and gormless faces that are the kids on the course and then back to my normal life.

Later , Grocerjack

No comments: