Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Another meeting with Mysterious M

Today I had a “scoping” meeting with my boss, the Mysterious M. It was called this so as to not give too much away to the nosy bastards who have no better life than to look at my diary to see what I’m doing that day. I would imagine this amounts to none, but we appear to working in an environment of ever increasing paranoia where information is most definitely power. Anyway, within the next couple of weeks I will be picking up my new team, a small one of 5 people. A title has yet to be determined but “Performance and Change Management” seems likely. Now, 4 months ago I was running a team of 22 people and constantly answering calls and replying to emails or attending meetings. There is little that depresses me more than a day of back to back meetings. Anyway doing that was a bit like being a teacher at an unruly comprehensive, with people constantly asking things, unable to make their own decisions or doing what the hell they wanted and hiding it from you. Despite this they were a good bunch, but this feels like I’m ready to dip back into the world of managing people and to be honest I find myself enjoying my work more and more now the shock of not being battered daily has worn off. I like to think I am a good coach of people and perhaps after my tirade against Sven Fuckwit I can put my own theories to the test once again on how to motivate and mobilise people. After all my initial distrust and cynicism it appears the Mysterious M really does like me and rates my abilities, which is a compliment in anyone’s eyes.

However, watch this space for some more cracking Management Gobbledygook Bollocks Talk very soon.

Euro 2004 Comment

Paul Scholes will be fit after all for tomorrows “crunch” game against the Swiss – bollocks. I stick to my guns here – as a coach you pick the form players, not stay with some misplaced loyalty on players who have not done the business for months. Sven Fuckwit – loyalty can be an admirable trait, but misplaced loyalty will be your downfall. Great game last night between Germany and Holland, with 2 teams showing real dislike for each other matched with mutual respect to give an absorbing, exciting and tense game. Whatever you think about the mechanical nature of the Germans you cannot fail to admire their resilience and mental attitude. The Dutch however seem to mentally all over the shop, but got through the game on their skill and determination not to let the Germans put one ovcer on them. In the end the Dutch Masters went from the beautiful game of passing along the floor, to “hoofing” the ball 70 yards to the big centre forward. Still, whatever lights your candle and gets the job done.



Later, Grocerjack

No comments: