Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The End of the course...

Hmmm, having just read Crox's page I would like to assure everyone that my life is not all holidays and courses! I'm afraid this one and the one in July are necessary evils if I want to stay employed for a while longer, or be more employable should the ever present company issue Sword of Damocles hit the target.

The kids have finally gone home now. Maybe they all need some sleep after the stresses of the last 3 days (sic). One actually paid me a compliment of sorts today along the lines of "I was so glad we had someone here who deals with this stuff, it has made it much clearer". Thats either nice , or patronising an oldie! Anyway, I expect they're all out clubbing, drinking alcopops, snorting Coke or dropping E's as an end of course steam letting session.

Strangely I got to like some of them in a paternal sort of way.

Baby had a summer concert last night at her school, which lost me 2 valuable hours of study. But she is a great little singer and really puts emotion into it. It made the heart strings go just watching her and seeing her smile back at me. The concert finished off with her music teachers Irish Folk band coming and doing a few numbers. Great fun, but it would be significantly enhanced if Guinness had been avaiable. In fact a bar would have upped the proportion of parents willing to join in the songs. Thanks to my Irish parentage I did know most of the songs. When we got outside baby had a nosebleed which lasted for nearly an hour. She got very upset and shaky as this is the worst she's had.She has inherited my hayfever and I put it down to that tempered with her excitement at doing the concert. As you may be able to tell, I would wrap her in cotton wool if I could! Teenager is still stroppy, with an alarming increase in "blonde moments". She is very close to me limiting her internet MSN times, and limiting her mobile usage. She does think she is an adult, but then when she was ill the other day (now a monthly occurence), one can see the confusion between the child and near adult and then I do really feel for her. Its awkward for boys, but for girls it must seem like torture at times.

This week is now dedicated to my next assignment due on Saturday

Assess the following conditional claim: “If the Standard Social Science Model is mistaken, then we are less altruistic than would otherwise be the case”

God help me (although if Darwin is to be believed, he can't, because he doesn't exist!)


Later, Grocerjack



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having a 23 year old daughter and having dragged her kicking and screaming through her teens, I don't envy you one bit (and I'm a female!). There is an end, its just a bit of a way off, I'm afraid. It's the raging hormones I found most frightening. You think boys are bad, girls can be worse! It didn't help that she went to a school where it was considered a badge of honour to have lost ones virginity (do they really know what they are doing?) and she was ridiculed for not going down that route. Luckily she stayed in tact (figuratively and literally), but I was bloody relieved when she got to her twenties and we were both relatively unscathed! My son, by comparison, was an absolute breeze..though I was most concerned that I never found any girly magazines under his bed!