Thursday, April 01, 2004

Jeans are bad?

What a stir I have caused! Today I could not be arsed to dress up as normal for work, so I am wearing jeans. The weird thing is I have had comments from people wearing ...jeans. Hello Mr Pot, my names Mr Kettle! Perhaps people expect more of me, or perhaps I am that predictable that when I rebel for 1 day, it is noticed. Perhaps this is the only way anyone notices me these days at work. Anyway, I felt a bit rebellious today and this is my sad way of proving it.

Teenager and I fell out this morning. DC was off to work early, so I did the kid run. Teenager never spoke when waking up, and then failed to say any more than 2 words until we got in the car. Then she stopped speaking at all. I made a comment on a passing car, which was a jazzy new Mini in extremely bright red. It looked very chic but I recieved no reply or acknowledgement. Because Teenager ignored me, I repeated the comment......again silence. One more time I thought........nothing.

SMACK - right across the thigh. I can take lip, attitude or grumbling, but ignorance is too much for me. She protested, but I am afraid I took the opportunity to follow this smack, with a whole bunch of verbal rhetoric. She didn't cry, but was patently about to. I haven't done that to her for ages and I think the shock hurt more than the smack, which wasn't really hard. Judge if you want, but you won't find me backing anti-smacking laws. These are supported by exceptionally lucky people whose kids never played up, or by childless ones.

She got out of the car and flounced off in the best Teenager tradition.

I gave it 5 minutes, then rang her and apologised. I'd been awake for an hour and already I have capitulated.

In a grudging manner she also apologised to me, complaining that she was tired. Wonder what she'll say when I turn her TV off at 10 tonight.

I may post tonight if I get the chance, but if not then wish me a good weekend with Bob6 - I'll be watching his score, and The King will be my witness! Last thought, apparently now Traffic Wardens will be able to issue arbitrary fines for poor driving, such things as bad parking, U-turns in road junctions, stopping in box junctions and other minor offences. Follow this link for the full story. I wouldn't want to be a Traffic Warden issuing me with a fine for such trivial offences. What next, fines for schoolkids playing ball in fields that have barred ball games. Fines for people who accidentally mount their wheels on the kerb whilst parking. Prison for people who drop litter. Lets have some fucking perspective for once.This poxy country is already overladen with legislation and fines for pathetic offecnce, with prisons containing people who haven't paid ...errr fines, or their TV Licence. When will the people of this country get the bollocks to mount campaigns of civil disobedience, like the French do, to stop being trodden on like doormats by this overpowering, bad breath suffering, legislation mad government? In France, the government does things like this, the French either strike, or they ignore it. If we had 10% of their free spirit, then perhaps we could class ourselves as free society. As it is, we just lamely accept everyting that comes our way and I for one, am sick of a society that penalises ordinary people for trivial offences and coppers nick people for speeding on Motorways, yet old people get mugged, children get bullied, murders and rapes are rising, gun crime is increasing and drug use is on the increase (don't even start me on drugs policy......read High Society by Ben Elton, then you'll find my views). Just think how much serious crime could be cut if we diverted the police resources to that instead of sitting on roadsides for hours on end!

Later GrocerJack

No comments: