Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Nothing Official Yet…..

Hmmm, I have been invited to a meeting today to discuss the tenders placed by High Powered Corporation and Desperate Dan Corporation. The tenders are for the management of a work flow package for 3 years. Not too thrilling I admit, but the fact I have been asked to attend seems a tacit implication that I will be managing the contract and the eventual winner. That should mean some good corporate football and golf days….errr I mean interesting and stimulating challenges in the drive to leverage effective cost savings and delivery mechanisms………

Aaargh! Oh my God, am I becoming one of “them”?

No fucking chance 

The Mysterious M has also confirmed to me that I will be managing one of his teams in the next couple of weeks. I think the team is the one that manages the capacity and performance of all of The Company’s High Tech Pipes, Tubes and Strings. I think it also produces an annual High Tech Pipe, Tube and String Strategy Plan. This is interesting because I am from a mainly operational background in which forward thinking and proactive planning are not generally the norm. They might be encouraged, but in truth most operational environments are so hectic you get fuck all chance to look ahead and plan strategically. Maybe it’s a deliberate ploy to get me into a role in which I have time to think, which wouldn’t be a bad thing. Maybe this was part of The Sandman’s master plan all along. Maybe he is really my friend……

But let’s get this straight, this is in addition to my current role, not instead.

For the same money.

Whether or not I’m allowed to be a manager or whether the role is akin to being The Milk Monitor is another thing entirely. Previous experience indicates The Company likes their managers to say yes to Corporate Cock, not to think independently, to tow the Company line and then grants them all the authority of a Brownie Sixer! It’s almost like being part of the Borg………..perhaps our Mission Statement should be

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

It may mean less posts though because undoubtedly my current freedom of time will now be more restricted, so evening posts may be come the norm. Fear not though, as this will just another source of inspirations….more grist to Grocerjack’s Mill.

Final note: If anyone thinks guns are a valid form of self defence, then the stupidity of this South African ex-Springbok rugby player featured in a BBC report shows the folly of gun ownership. And why not just ring the police and claim off the insurance? Did he really think it was justified to shoot a car thief? I can't think of a bigger price to pay.

Later, Grocerjack

No comments: