Tuesday, May 17, 2005

A Touch of Reality....

Kylie Minogue's cancer has genuinely shocked me. I'm no great fan of her work, although Can't Get You Out of My Head must feature as one of the all time great pure pop songs - I must do a list of great pure pop songs. I liked her flirtation with King Miseryguts, Nick Cave a few years ago. A brave move decried by her fans but appreciated by the likes of me who was only too happy to see someone challenge themselves. At 36, and frankly looking fantastic she is very young to cop this bastard and my mind wanders back to the shock of hearing about Caron Keating's sad death. But Kylie is undoubtedly fit and presumably healthy in every other aspect, plus they have discovered this very early. It doesn't guarantee a successful conclusion but it will enhance her chances of survival. Even a cynical old bastard like me, who abhores the current celebrity culture can feel genuine shock and dismay at this news and I hope she will recover, as I would any other person being diagnosed with this shitbag disease.

Maybe, just maybe the world of obsessive faux celebrity might just realise that sometimes there are more important things than being pictured in the "right" place/with the "right" person/supporting the "right" cause in order to enhance their mostly talentless capability and plastic credibility.

I won't hold my breath waiting though.

Later, GrocerJack

No comments: