Monday, January 31, 2005

A washout......

I tried a large Glen Moray on Friday night for the throat before my normal visit to the pub. A 20 year old single malt seemed the perfect answer. It ripped the throat apart as it washed over it, but the anaesthetising affect was almst immediate. So off to the pub and 5 pints later the feeling of malaise was receding . Hometime came and the next morning everything was back....with a vengeance. Still I refused to let it get me down and despite a temperature of a 100 went off for a game of golf. A shit front nine was tempered by a good back nine (why does that always happen? Why can't I just have a good 18?). It seemed to work and despite being the deliverer of bad news to Shotts and The King that Pompey had successfully snatched defeat from the jaws of an honourable draw in the FA cup against sworn enemies Southampton, I thought perhaps the fresh air had worked. One hour indoors and thins went back, temperature, sore throat, blocked and painful sinuses, and just for good measure a whhezy groaning chest. Another Dads night out was scheduled for Saturday and in my desire to not let anyone down I went along anyway. Again, temporary alcohol borne relief seeemd to help, but again when I got in things seeemd to go down. Sunday was spent sweating, coughing and feeling like shit. Even watching my beloved mighty Chelsea trundle past Birmingham in the FA Cup didn't lift the mood.

And so today has been the first day off sick from work for over a year since I last got real flu. I know what real flu is and this is just a cold bug, but still its enough to knock you over a bit. Today, so far I have watched around 16 episodes of Friends from my box set collection. Say what you like about Friends, it may not be cutting edge, but it makes me laugh and has helped me feel a bit better on a thoroughly miserable day.

Onto Series 5 now.......

Later, GrocerJack





No comments: