Tuesday, September 28, 2004


This Weeks Work of Art - conscious that this has lapsed since I went on holiday so back comes this occasional series whereby I display my favourite works of Art for your enjoyment or for you to despise, but hopefully never be apathetic about. This is by Gustav Klimt - The Kiss, 1907-08, oil on canvas. It has been variously described by some as the most romantic painting of all time, but if you look carefully I think it is actually a real scary picture, or a real warning of something sinister. Does she look happy? Does she really enjoy this apparent close attention? What hold does the bloke have over her..is it love...or some other darker force...such as fear? Excellnet stuff and someone I am just discovering as a thought provoking and challenging artist. Later, GrocerJack
 Posted by Hello

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always found this to be claustrophobic. Or perhaps I'm just not romantic! He has her head in both his hands. Is she trying to pull away? Her hand is on his..as a caress or is she trying to loosen his grip? I feel its the latter. Her body is in an uncomfortable pose. I have always seen it as an arrangement not of her choosing or liking. I think he has tried to wrap them in their own world..is that to prevent her from escaping? Rgds, Den

Mick Flynn Images said...

Not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid.

Rob Burton said...

Yes I see what you mean but Klimt is an artist that seems to appeal more to women than men, women seem to hang him on their walls more than men seem to, its alright for notelet covers but thats about all for me I'm afraid

Anonymous said...

Its obvious aint it... he"s the pimp and she"s the whore who is off her trolley on crack-cocaine. Her kids have been sold into slavery and now shes screwing for money to pay for the class A drugs. Hes saying to her.. " Get back out on that fucking street you useless bitch, or youll end up doing donkey movies in Amsterdam"

The Misery.