Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Changing Lanes………

Six weeks ago my work calendar was barren. It was sparse, vacant, empty, a vast desert of un-booked time punctured sporadically by free lunches, or reminders to get important things done (play golf, go to pub, buy flowers for GMD ‘s birthday/anniversary, buy kids presents for birthdays, Christmas Day etc). It was almost unspoilt virgin territory. Now it has changed and bit by bit, day by day it is returning to its former state. Days packed with meetings I don’t want to go to but am expected to attend, reminders to finish some bullshit, raggedy-arse task that I couldn’t actually give a flying fuck about. Since agreeing to manage this new team life is changing from one of virtually uninterrupted loafing into the monster of before, with endless meetings, dozens of phone calls, deadlines, documents, masses of wanky irrelevant emails, projects and initiatives. A return to the bollocks of “swimlanes”, “horizontals”, “process alignment” and my old nemesis “leveraging global synergies”.

I have to devise a plan to contain it all before it spirals out of control. In essence I enjoy the extra stuff to a degree, but having had 6 months of comparative leisure and freeloading time I don’t want to return to the stress-monster I was before. Life is all about balance and I want loafing and freeloading mixed in with stress free team management and peer interaction. So I need to formulate a cunning Blackadder like plan to ensure life doesn’t return to how it was before.

Other than “Quit” all I can think of is “Lie to everyone”. Any other ideas?


More later, GrocerJack

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take a deep breath - SHOUT F**k EM!!! and move to France!!!

Well you did ask?

Policeman's daughter...XX

Watski said...

Lose the diary, write in invisible ink and switch off the phone.

Works for me.

obb said...

Open a Grocers shop?

Mick Flynn Images said...

"Six weeks ago my work calendar was barren. It was sparse, vacant, empty, a vast desert of un-booked time punctured sporadically by free lunches, or reminders to get important things done (play golf, go to pub, buy flowers for GMD ‘s birthday/anniversary, buy kids presents for birthdays, Christmas Day etc). It was almost unspoilt virgin territory."

Looks like you got found out!

Anonymous said...

Fill up your calendar with vague, ficticious meetings with third party companies so it's diffcult to be verified.

Arwel!

Mick said...

become a "lean six sigma black belt" in work avoidance and hiding.