Friday, November 21, 2008

Guitars, drums, volume....tune!

Well, the development of the plan has stalled slightly due to work suddenly becoming busier, but rest assured I'll get back to it next week. In the meantime this is all about music. As is often the case during times of angst or uncertainty, people turn to different crutches - some will drink, some will eat, some will turn to exercise and some will turn in on themselves or become depressed. Me, I turn to music, gorging on the likes of Pink Floyd or specifically the king of Miserabilism, Roger Waters, and this usually kicks starts the positive driving influences in me after a suitable period of self indulgent internal reflection and gloom. However, as I'm not particularly angst ridden or depressed, just a little grumpier as the years go by, I do seem to have had a massive resurgence in my love of Rock music.

I've always loved music, ever since my childhood and have always viewed those who are apathetic about music with bemusement and suspicion. But during the last few years my ability to sit and just listen to music has declined. This seems to be a result of work and generally lack of time. The last year has seen almost every bit of spare time studying and you simply can't study with music either in the background or foreground. If the music's great then your distracted, if its bad then why would you even have it on?

Anyway, I digress. In the last few weeks I have been turned back on to my favourite form of music, Rock. Not that I ever really went off it, but I just haven't made much of an effort to listen to much and have tended to listen to music radio incidentally, say when driving home from work. The Pure Highway gadget certainly acted as a catalyst for this re-energised passion for Rock. After all, I've waited for 40 plus years for the pitiful radio in the UK to get even close to my taste, whereas in America, niche radio is rife, be it Rap, Religion, Garage, Country or Rock etc. The UK of course had the pathetic Radio Authority, subsequently replaced by OFCOM, another government QUANGO, but both obsessed with public taste and decency. So whilst Classical Music got a nationwide independent station in Classic FM, Rock was ignored. With a blase, arrogant and contemptuous swipe of its authoritarian, puritanical hand the Radio Authority/OFCOM stated that the interests of Pop and Rock music lovers was already well served by local independent radio. Which is bit like saying that the needs of a blind man are well served by dark glasses. Frankly UK radio is shite, double shite and arse gravy. For the past few years I've been stuck with the admirable 5 Live and small bits of Radio 2. Now, thanks to the Pure Highway and the internet, and DAB radio in general I can fulfil my radio needs at the press of a button.

The other influence has of course been Planet Rock, quite simply the best radio station in the UK. They play all the music that hits my buttons and some of the new and the new (but old) stuff I've recently discovered has had a huge affecton the re-kindling of my love affair with all things long haired, denim and leather clad and guitar based. It's the little things like NOT censoring lyrics and playing the full tracks with no chit chat over intro's or endings, plus a diverse play list and comparatively few ads that make the difference. I have a letter written which outlines why I think I should be a presenter on the station - I mean how hard can it be to play great music all day long and have a laugh as well? That would be very high on my list of perfect jobs. The alternative is to start my own radio station. You can laugh, but surely they all start somewhere and I find the idea of being a 'radio pirate' quite appealing. It would be my own way of saying 'Fuck the System', whilst doing something I genuinely love. Plus I can talk for England, so no dead air!

To head off into the weekend I thought I'd share some of the recent discoveries/re-discoveries, songs and performers, which have been my equivalent of finding a diamond in a bag of rubies. All of which just goes to prove that no-one has heard everything and indeed unless someone plays this stuff to you, such as a radio station, then you may never discover it.

Sloe Gin by Joe Bonamassa
Stargazer by Rainbow
Magic Bus (studio and live) by The Who
The Faith Healer by Sensational Alex Harvey Band
A Great Day for Freedom by David Gilmour from the Live in Gdansk album which I hadn't even heard of but will own for Christmas
Good to be Bad - the whole album by Whitesnake released this year
Sheer Heart Attack - Queen (from News of the World)
Crime of the Century - Supertramp
Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath (with Dio not Ozzy)
Baba O'Riley - The Who
Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
Boogie with Stu - Led Zeppelin
Carouselambra - Led Zeppelin
Highway Star - Deep purple - the live version from Made In Japan
The Unforgiven - Metallica

And finally the rather magnificent...

Like a Hurricane by Neil Young

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Later, GJ

No comments: