Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A cunning plan?

In this advancing world of uncertainty over my job, I have decided it would be prudent to start to plan for what might be

a.) inevitable and not my choice
b.) the biggest and bravest move I've ever made
c.) The nuclear fall out - that is, a plan that is ready but you hope never to use




Of course that plan then becomes structured into various headings and thats when the complexity starts to build.

a.) What can I do that I know I can do?

b.) What do I think I can do?

c.) What can I do but as yet don't know I can do or have never tried?

d.) What can't I do and could never realistically do?

On top of this we have to add another layer of complexity

a.) What can I do that I know I can do, but do enjoy doing?

b.) What can I do that I know I can do, but don't enjoy doing?

b.) What do I think I can do, but would enjoy doing?

d.) What do I think I can do, but wouldn't enjoy doing?

e.) What can I do but as yet don't know I can do, or have never tried, but would probably enjoy doing?

f.) What can I do but as yet don't know I can do, or have never tried, but would probably not enjoy doing and can subsequently rule out?

g.) What can't I do and could never realistically do?

Of course that then becomes even harder....

a.) What can I do that I know I can do, and enjoy doing that will earn me enough money to continue as I am?

b.) What can I do that I know I can do, but don't enjoy doing that will earn me enough money to continue as I am?

c.) What do I think I can do, but would enjoy doing that will earn me enough money to continue as I am?

d.) What do I think I can do, but wouldn't enjoy doing that will earn me enough money to continue as I am?

e.) What can I do but as yet don't know I can do, or have never tried, but would probably enjoy doing that will earn me enough money to continue as I am?

f.) What can I do but as yet don't know I can do, or have never tried, but would probably not enjoy doing and can subsequently rule out?

g.) What can't I do and could never realistically do?

And then............

a.) What can I do that I know I can do, and enjoy doing, that will make me rich?

b.) What can I do that I know I can do, but don't enjoy doing, that will make me rich?

c.) What do I think I can do, and would enjoy doing, that will make me rich?

d.) What do I think I can do, but wouldn't enjoy doing, that will make me rich?

e.) What can I do but as yet don't know I can do, or have never tried, but would probably enjoy doing, that will make me rich?

f.) What can I do but as yet don't know I can do, or have never tried, but would probably not enjoy doing and can subsequently rule out, unless its likely to make me very rich?

g.) What can't I do and could never realistically do despite the chance it would me me very rich and hence might be worth a punt if desperate?

And finally....

All of the previous, but with the added question of what I am morally prepared to do. I'm not even unemployed but I do wonder if my principles of fairness and decency to people would be something I could just discard in order to get to the end result. Is my current moral compass stuck merely because I live in the comfort zone of wage slave? Could I be a ruthless bastard willing to use the phrase 'It isn't personal' to justify hard business/self preservation/get rich decisions?

Yes, I think I could.

Anyway, to get this plan under construction I will need a mind map, a spreadsheet, probably a process flow diagram, some swim lanes diagrams, an Ishikawa/Fishbone diagram, a Gannt chart and finally some sort of tabular display with a final list of options, each with a relative success likelihood indicator score, in turn linked to a set of sub plans for each consequence outlining an approach, an action plan and a final result.

Looking at that last paragraph, a job in the legal proffession or with a local authority seems to beckon. Have I really turned into Captain Darling?

Later, GJ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, looking at that last paragraph I'd say you'd fit in perfectly to middle level management in local government. Have you got a brainful of acronyms and buzzwords you can bust out at any given meeting too?

ttt said...

Hi Foxsden

You wouldn't believe the acronyms and bullshit I have to put up with each day.

*returns to work looking for a 'quick win*