Friday, August 04, 2006

Off to The Money Pit


Its been busy at work hence the lack of writing, especially as I prepare my "exit strategy" for The Schoolteacher.....his words not mine. But today is the day I try to recoup some of the wedge lashed out on The Money Pit by actually spending some substantial time there. So for the next 3 and a bit weeks I'm in the (hopefully) sunny South of France....the car is cleaned and polished, the sat nav is primed, the bike is on the back, the boot is packed........but best of all GMD will drive to the port tonight so that I can have a few beers to mark the departure of The Governor from my local to pastures new.

The picture shows the pub in its glory and this is the passing of an era. The Governor and his wife have over the years built an atmosphere within the pub that one can only describe as typically English. The loudest noise you hear is the drone of people chatting and laughing with clinking glasses in the back ground. The building itself helps to make what is ostensibly a proper real English pub, but The Governor built the clientele, created the sense of community in the pub and hence the friendly and welcoming environment that is my local and we are all going to miss him and the lovely Governors Wife (who's cried every time we've left lately). They are off to a pub about 5 miles up the road and it remains to be seen if the pub retains its current clientele, but for sure we will be visiting the new place and keeping in regular touch. Fullers took the pub over when Gales sold their souls to them but it is only fair that the replacements are given the chance to prove themselves as worthy of our custom.

Have a nice time. Don't get me wrong but I hope the weather is foul here for the next 3 weeks......it just makes me feel better about being on hols.

Au Revoir, EpicierJacques

No comments: