Thursday, November 17, 2005

Snowstorm....near blizzard strength



Guess which bits of the following I didn't put on my interim performance appraisal form.


A challenging few months with a new manager (the most inspid and uninspiring man in the world) and new skills (in corporate gobbledygook spin) to learn and new role objectives to be assimilated (what am I to you - a fucking Borg?). I believe that thus far I have acquitted myself well in all areas (like anyone gives a shit). Some observations though:

Promotion seems impossible for me now and I can't be sure that my age
(being 44 and seemingly ready for the knackers yard as far as most in this organisation think) is not a major factor here. I also feel that none of my past achievements have been recognised and that specifically my stewardship of the Data Network team in a frankly highly pressurised, god forsaken, thankless environment was totally ignored. It seems to me that no-one notices good work unless you're prepared to sell your achievements constantly (like some desperate old whore hoping to find some rich corporate cock sucking ladder climber sugardaddy or to provide her with her next fix of Corporate Heroin). There seems no mechanism or process for recognizing those who prefer to adopt a lower profile on their achievements in the hope that actually someone does care (give a shit) and will notice them (i.e. those of us who actually walk the fucking walk as well as talking the talk and who manage to keep some semblance of a normal life outside of this hellhole) and a massive gap exists in any guidance on how to achieve promotion or further career progression (or even satisfaction). Unfortunately try as I might to forget this and concentrate on the future I can't help thinking that if the past is anything to go by then no matter how well I perform (or what the fuck I do) it won't really make any difference. (So stop patronising me Sonny, stop telling me how to develop myself, how to target my aspirations, how to focus on my objectives and achievements, stop the pretence that there is anything left for me here, stamp the fucking stamp, sign the fucking form and lets save ourself 2 hours and get on with something more worthwhile).

I have given some clues to help you along the way.

Later, GrocerJack

No comments: