Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Things I have liked.....and things I haven't

Sitting around for 2 weeks now has meant loads of time to watch TV and try to learn French through new technologies. I've watched near enough everything on my V+ box plus quite a few DVD's and it's been good to catch up on some of the latest stuff.

Some Good stuff:

Cloverfield. Rather excellent 'monster ravages New York' movie with interesting perspective, being as it is shown from the perspective of someone witnessing events through a video camera. Only downside is it yet again centres around teenagers with virtually nobody over 20 in it. I know the makers have a target demographic, but really, would it have hurt to include a few adults?

The Dark Knight: The best Batman film by some distance. As far from the cartoon-like versions seen before, and yes that does include the Tim Burton ones.

Ironman: Superb super hero film laced with humour and menace. How could anything that plays in with Back in Black by ACDC, with the best US actor ever, Jeff Bridges, and the rejuvenated Robert Downey Junior be anything but good?

Holby City: OK, I'm coming out here. This is my guilty secret. I hate soaps and so for me this can't ber classed as a soap, but it just draws me in with the characters, the plots and arcs and its recent transformation to a filmic quality makes it eminently watchable.

Hancock: Drunken waster superhero film with Will Smith. Surprisingly enjoyable as I find his films a little rubbish. He's similar to Jim Carrey in that he irritates me in most films, but maybe this has started to redeem him in my eyes. Carrey did it with The Truman Show, but since then it's all been the usual crap.

Facebook games: Easy ways to while away the hours.

Quake Live: Yes, Quake, the game, online and free! Great fun for an hour or so.

The Wright Stuff: Yes, thats right, the daily Matthew Wright vehicle. He can be smug and arrogant, but to be fair its his show, but this is always striking the right balance between fun and serious, with interesting guests always willing to contribute.

BBC Breakfast: Well, why woud I be surprised. The BBC doing a great job of keeping me up to date. Plus it has Suzanne Reid and Sian Williams so whats not too like?


Not so good stuff:

Loose women. Great idea. Shite execution. Shite guests. Trivial trite bollocks.

This Morning: Competition TV with the odd human interest slot.

Jeremy Kyle. Seriously, if he's good enough for TV then why am I not doing my own programme.

Gold adverts/Loan shark adverts: Need I say more?

Childrens TV: Dear God, patronizing, simplistic, safe, bland rubbish. Yes, I know its not for me , but my memory is good enough to remember that it was never so bad in my day.

And thats it. 3 weeks condensed into good and bad. What a fucking saddo!

Later, GJ

*PS....coming next, why I love the 80's




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always enjoy your blog GJ and glad to see that you're feeling better.
Now get my aptly named Bi-Polar Express back up and running on the Chelsea blog please, I miss it.

ttt said...

Evening Squire - the BP Express will be returning soon, when life returns to normal!!!!!